Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Lunch! New Recipes: Chicken n Rice & Mimi's Chocolate Cake!

I love to cook on Sundays! My mother always made sure that we had a cooked meal Sunday after church for the whole family to eat together. I try and continue that tradition in memory of her. It takes a bit more planning but is always worth it! Sometimes it is difficult since church is at 11. I try and cut up the veggies and meat then refrigerate them before going to church to save on prep time. Also, using a crock pot the night/morning before can save on time. Anyways, for lunch today I made a new recipe for chicken and rice. I also made green beans and rolls. I made my Mimi's chocolate cake for dessert which is amazing! Some of my earliest memories include playing with my siblings and cousins at Mimi and Paw Paw's house in the country. Occasionally Mimi would have the best chocolate cake ever! I called her and asked for the recipe. Since it was my first time making the cake it didn't turn out as good as hers but hopefully next time it will... and it was still really yummy! Definitely a new Calloway favorite!

Chicken and Rice

3lbs boneless skinless chichen breast, sliced then cubed in 1 1/2 in pieces (season chicken with Tonys)
2 small onions, chopped
4 pieces of bacon, cut in 1 in pieces
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1 cup of peas
2 cups of rice
1 tbsp of minced garlic
1/2 cup of chicken broth

1. Cook rice and set aside, Cook bacon on med heat for a few minutes, add onions and mushrooms, add white parts of green onions, cook for about 5 minutes then add peas and cook another 5 minutes until onions are caramelized.
2. Take out veggies and set aside, add chicken, cook until chicken is white all the way through (about 10-15 minutes).
3. Add veggies back to the pot, rice, green onions, chicken broth, season with more Tonys and stir. I like to sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of my portion!

after the veggies have been removed while cooking chicken

pretty tasty!


Mimi's Chocolate Cake

1 box of devil's food cake mix
1 tbsp of sour cream
1 1/2 cups of sugar
dash of salt
1/3 cup of water
2 egg whites
1 tsp of vanilla

1. mix devils food cake, add sour cream to keep it moist, cook as directions on the box instructs and let cool for at least 30 minutes before icing.
2. In a medium pot heat about 1 inch of water to boiling. In a small pot with a handle add sugar, salt, egg whites, vanilla and water. Place small pot inside larger pot (don't let the bottom touch the water) and stir with a blender for 7 minutes of more until the icing is thick and white peaks appear.
3. Let the icing cool for about 5-10 minutes then ice the cake, let the icing harden for about 15 minutes then serve!

cooling the frosting

I love pretty cakes!

:)

Well now the work/school week is beginning again there will be no more cooking for me until Thursday night at least. I had a wonderful weekend and am sad to see it end. Even before the weekend I was given tickets from my practicum site for the Dallas Symphony Orchestra! It was amazing and Shaun and I really enjoyed it! Friday evening I made pork chops and we relaxed at home. Saturday we went to eat at the Cheesecake Factory and saw The King's Speech! I cannot say enough about how wonderful the movie was. Shaun and I both loved it! We'll be buying it to add to our collection for sure. I think anyone can enjoy this movie, ESPECIALLY people who like historical movies based true stories, like inspiring movies, is a speech therapist, and love movies that end happy (basically me)! haha! So go see The King's Speech then make a yummy chocolate cake and enjoy life! :)











3 comments:

Myaann said...

Maria, you are the sweetest thing ever! I love reading your recipes and their preludes! I learn more things about you I didn't know!! That chocolate cake looks AMAZING!! xoxo

Ashley K said...

You crack me up sister! I was reading your blog in class today...not paying attention to the lecture obviously, so thanks for the distraction! Love you, loved the cake btw :)

The Allen's said...

I think you would love my cousin's blog...

homesicktexan.blogspot.com

There was a write up about her in last weeks Dallas Morning News. Her blog about food led her to being hired to write a cookbook which she is now working on.