Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!!! time for cake!

Am I the only one who cannot believe it is 2011?! I feel like I just got used to writing 2010 on all my work/school documents. Growing up it seemed like every adult was always reminding me that one day time would speed by and it sure does these days. Nevertheless, I try to take time to enjoy the simple pleasures in life, one of which is baking a cake! I decided to bake a pineapple upside-down cake because it is a nice change and is so yummy! I think that pineapple upside-down cake can be made for almost any occasion and during any season. I acquired my recipe from Southern Living 1001 Ways to Cook Southern, of course I tweaked it to make it my own. :) You will need a 9''cast iron skillet to make this recipe, if you don't have one you NEED one! Cooking in cast iron is not only easier but it makes everything taste better (if you cook with cast iron you can attest to this). Anyway, here's the recipe!

Skillet Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 20-oz can of pineapple slices
maraschino cherries
2 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sour cream

1. preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt butter in skillet. Spread brown sugar evenly in skillet. drain pineapple saving 1/4 pineapple juice to set aside. Arrange pineapples in skillet and put a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.
2. Beat egg yolks at medium speed and add sugar gradually.
3. Heat saved pineapple juice and gradually add to mixture.
4. Mix flour, salt, and baking powder and add dry ingredients to yolk mixture, beating at low speed.
5. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks appear then fold into batter. Spoon batter evenly over pineapple slices.
6. Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. When you take it out immediately run a knife around the edges of the cake then let it cool in skillet for about 25 minutes. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve with homemade vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or by itself!

Easy Skillet Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Follow directions for first 4 ingredients. Use a pineapple upside down cake mix (from a box). Add 1 tbsp of sour cream to batter and mix. Spoon batter into skillet then bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.  



cooking it in the skillet makes it so moist!

soo pretty!!

time to get a piece!!

Happy New Year!!!! -The Calloways 


Now I'm going to start making new years day supper: roast, rice n gravy, purple hull peas, cabbage rolls, and cornbread!




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! I want a piece right now!

Unknown said...

That looks so yummy!

s.cal said...

it was yummy!

Ashley K said...

I WANT SOME!