Saturday, April 2, 2011

Jambalaya

Life has been super busy with work and school thus I've had zero time to blog. Hopefully this summer life will slow down a bit once the elementary school that I work for goes on summer break (I'm counting down the days!). During spring break I had hoped to blog but never had the time. We really enjoyed visiting with friends and family in Louisiana. We were able to eat some crawfish and grill steaks with the fam! Over a month ago for  Mardi Gras I made jambalaya for my grad school articulation class (we take turns bringing food to class). I also brought a store bought kingcake (I had wanted to make one but ran out of time). Everyone seemed to like the jambalaya so I thought I'd share our recipe.

Jambalaya
1lb sausage
1lb pork
1lb chicken
2 yellow onions
6 stalks of celery
one bundle of green onions
2 bell peppers
3 tbsp minced garlic
5 cups of rice (I like to use parboiled rice)
Tony's seasoning to taste

Chop onions, celery, green onions. Remove the seeds from the bell pepper and slice. Slice/chop meat into bite sized pieces. Start sauteing the veggies (only half of the green onions) in a little butter with a little Tonys, add 1 tbsp of minced garlic. Once the veggies are cooked and caramelized remove from pot and set aside. Brown the meat (dusted with Tonys) add 2 tbsp of garlic. With meat browned and the veggies back, add the rice and the proper amount of water (10 cups). Cook until rice is cooked stirring so it wont stick, turn low and add the other half of the green onions and cook for 2-3 hrs stirring occasionally.

*you can also add 1 lb of shrimp (peeled and deveined) when you add the rice and water, shrimp does not take long to cook and will cook while the water boils to cook the rice. If you want a more New Orleans taste add some stewed/diced tomatoes in the beginning when sauteing veggies. We like it the Cajun country way without the tomatoes :)







Here are some recent pictures of us :)

about to go on a date with my man!


Bella loves Mardi Gras!



crawfish!!!


















I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Psalm 16:8



0 comments: